Sarmale – Sauerkraut with Meatballs
800 g sauerkraut
1 garlic clove
2 bay leaves
150 g smoked bacon
1 tablespoon paprika powder
2 tablespoons oil
ca. 700 ml of water or vegetable stock
500 g pork
1 big onion
2 garlic cloves
150 g rice
½ teaspoon caraway, ground
2 teaspoons paprika powder
1 teaspoon of pepper, ground
3 tablespoons oil
Prep.time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: ca. 1,5 hours
You’ll need: Meatgrinder
- Cut the meat into small cubes.
- Fit the coarse screen to the Mincer and mince the beef
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan, cook the rice, onion, and garlic until it is glassy then set aside to cool.
- Combine the minced meat, rice, egg, pepper, caraway, salt, and pepper and form into balls with wet hands.
- For the cabbage bed, heat the oil in a small saucepan, cook the onion and garlic until glassy.
- Mix with the paprika powder and fold in the sauerkraut.
- Spread half of the sauerkraut in the bottom of a large pot then add leaves and bacon.
- Lay the meatballs on the bacon, and cover it with the rest of the sauerkraut. and fill up with so much water that covers the sauerkraut.
- Cook the sarmale for about 1.5 hours on low heat without stirring. If necessary, add more water.
- Serve it with sour cream and fresh bread.
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland