Poppy Seed Cake with Amarena Cherries
150g Poppy seed, ground
200ml Milk, warm
120g Butter, soft
¼ tsp Baking soda
Zest of a lemon
200ml Heavy cream
3 Egg yolks
10g Corn starch
1 tsp Vanilla extract
20g caster sugar
Serve with Amarena cherries.
Prep.time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 160C fan forced
- Whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Cream butter and sugar, then whisk in egg yolks, and lemon zest
- Mix flour, baking soda and poppy seed, whisk in the butter mixture and milk, then fold in egg whites
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. (24cm)
- Put in the middle of the oven and bake for ca. 40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean
- To make the vanilla custard, heat the milk in the saucepan until it comes just up to the boil.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, caster sugar and starch. Pour the milk slowly over the egg mix, beating well.
- Return the mixture to the pan and place over a low heat, stirring until the mixture thickens
- Serve cake with vanilla custard and Amarena cherries