100 g whole pistachios
2-3 tablespoons water (or 1 tablespoon rose syrup and 1-2 tablespoons of water)
80 g sugar, for caramel
6 egg yolks
500 ml heavy cream
70 g sugar, for the cream
ca.100 g of pistachio paste
Preparation: ca. 30 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour 10 minutes
Accessories: Food Processor
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C
- Blend pistachios with water (or rose water) in the Food Processor until creamy
- Meanwhile, heat 80g sugar in a heavy medium saucepan, and cook without stirring until syrup turns amber
- Quickly pour caramel into an ovenproof dish. (ca. 1 L large)
- Whisk the egg yolk, heavy cream, remaining sugar, pistachio paste and pour custard over the caramel layer.
- Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of the ovenproof dish.
- Cover the custard with aluminum foil and bake until center of flan is gently set, ca. 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove from the water bath, cool completely, and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours, better overnight
- Using a sharp knife, loosen the edge of the flan and turn it on a serving plate.
- Serve with chopped pistachios.
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland