Passion Fruit Ricotta Cream And Meringue Swiss Roll
Ingredients for the sponge:
100 g flour
100 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
For the cream:
250 g ricotta
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tablespoons corn starch
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
50 g butter
100 g passion fruit curd
2 egg whites
Preparation: 45 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Attachment: balloon whisk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tin with parchment paper.
- Add the eggs and sugar into the mixing bowl and whisk until very pale, fluffy and thickened.
- Sift in the flour and carefully fold in.
- Pour batter into the baking tin and smooth with a spatula until evenly spread.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes
- Turn the sponge out onto a fresh parchment paper, peel off the baking paper from the sponge, and carefully roll it up.
- For the cream, whisk egg yolk with sugar and vanilla over water bath for about 8-10 minutes,
- Add ricotta, cornstarch and butter. Stir until the cream thickens, then cool completely.
- Spread the sponge with the ricotta filling and roll it up tightly with the help of the baking paper.
- Keep the swiss roll refrigerated until served.
- For the Italian meringue, add the sugar and water to a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the egg whites to the mixing bowl and whisk on medium speed until stiff peaks form
- Once the sugar syrup has reached 113C on a sugar thermometer, remove it from the heat.
- With the mixer running, pour the syrup slowly to the egg whites.
- Increase the speed to high and whisk for about 7–9 minutes
- Spoon the meringue into a large piping bag, or just use a spoon to spread the meringue over the swiss roll, and brown it with a chef’s blowtorch
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland