Grittibänz – Traditional Swiss Christmas Bread Man
1 tsp salt
1 pack of vanilla sugar
15 g of fresh yeast crumbles
100 g butter, soft
150 ml of milk, lukewarm
120 g of sour cream
1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp milk, to brush
Prep.time: 30 minutes and overnight
Cooking time: approx. 25-30 minutes
You’ll need: dough hook
- For the dough, mix flour salt, sugar and yeast in the mixing bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream and milk and knead into a soft, smooth dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- The next day, preheat oven to 180 ° C.
- Form the dough as you like (I did Santa :)… can you tell;) , brush with the beaten egg wash, decorate with raisins and pearl sugar.
- Place Grittibänz on a sheet of baking paper, and bake until golden brown, ca. for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool on a grid.
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland