Gluten Free Nonnettes – French Gingerbread Cakes
Gluten Free Flour Mix
80 g potato starch
80 g brown millet flour
80 g wholemeal rice flour
40 g buckwheat flour
5 g psyllium husk
135 g honey
110 g cane sugar
180 g water
90 g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp Gingerbread spice mix
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
Orange zest of half an orange
For the Glaze
1 Tbsp caster sugar
Freshly squeezed lemon juice of half a lemon
Freshly squeezed orange juice of half an orange
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Combine the butter, water, honey and sugar in a small saucepan and stir just until melted.
- In a mixing bowl, add the GF flour mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and gingerbread spice.
- Pour the honey mixture into the flour and stir to combine.
- Add the rum, vanilla extract, orange zest and egg yolk and mix well.
- Butter a muffin or small dessert mold.
- Place a spoonful of batter in each mold, add a teaspoon of orange jam and fill each mold with batter up to the half.
- Bake the nonnettes for ca. 12 minutes until the dough springs bake when gently pressed.
- For the glaze, combine caster sugar, lemon and orange juice in a bowl
- Spoon the glaze over the warm nonnettes, and let them cool.