Fastenwähe – Typical Basler Carnival Pastry
450 g flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
15 g fresh yeast
150 g butter, soft
175 ml milk. lukewarm
1 red onion
100 g smoked bacon
100 g Gruyère cheese
1 egg yolk to brush
1 tbsp caraway
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Rest: 60 minutes
Attachments: stirring tool, dough hook
1. Dice the onion and bacon and cook in the mixing bowl at 100 ° C until golden and crisp.
2. Add the flour, salt, bacon, onion, yeast, milk, grated cheese, and butter in the mixing bowl and knead to an elastic dough.
3. Cover and rise at room temperature for ca. 1 hour until doubled in volume.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
5. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into ovals. Using a sharp knife, make 4 cuts lengthwise into the dough (see picture)
6. Transfer the pieces onto a baking paper, brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with cumin. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland