Dreikönigskuchen – Three King’s Cake
320 g flour
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 tbsp icing sugar
15 g fresh yeast
45 g butter, soft
100 ml milk, lukewarm
120 g apple mousse
65 g cream caramel, small pieces
1 whole almond or ceramic king figure
1 egg, beaten
1-2 tablespoons of hail sugar
Preparation: 2.5 hours
Baking time: ca. 30 minutes
Accessories: dough hook
- Mix yeast with lukewarm milk and a pinch of sugar and set aside for 15 minutes until foamy.
- Attach the dough hook to stand mixer, add the flour, salt, sugar, butter, apple mousse, cream caramel and yeast mixture to the mixing bowl and knead into a soft, smooth dough.
- Cover and let it rise at temperature for about 1½ hours.
- Form a large and 7 smaller balls from the dough, placing the almond or the king figure in one of the smaller balls.
- First, place the large dough ball on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, place the smaller balls around it, cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C.
- Brush Dreikönigskuchen with egg wash and sprinkle with hail sugar.
- Bake for ca. 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Baked in partnership with Kenwood Switzerland